Certificate Course in Value Added Tax 2018
The objective of the course was designed to teach students the principles of Value-Added Tax in a practical way. It covers the entire field of VAT and concentrates on the calculation and recording of VAT transactions.
The course is delivered by The Tax Faculty and accredited by UNISA.
Who should enrol for this course?
The course will benefit:
· Employees of SARS
· People in smaller businesses with a more formal business structure such as a close corporation or company
· Persons involved in VAT audits and investigations
· Persons involved in VAT matters in public practice
· Persons who want to further their studies in the field of taxation
The course commences 1 March 2018. The closing date for registration is 10 January 2018. No late registrations will be accepted.
National Senior Certificate or equivalent.
Assessment and Award of Certificate
Course participant will be required to complete various assignments and a two-hour closed-book examination. The submission of the first assignment is compulsory for admission to the examination.
A two-hour paper will be written in October/November. The marks obtained in the average of the two assignments constitute 20% of the examination mark. A total mark of 50% will be required for the successful completion of the course.
On successful completion of the course, course participants will be awarded a certificate by the University.
Value Added Tax Syllabus/Content Topics
Study Guide 1:
- General background on VAT
- The VAT Act
- Accounting basis
- Registration and tax periods
- Types of supply
- Taxable supplies
- Exempt supplies
- Goods imported and imported services
- Tax invoices and other documentation
- The VAT return
Study Guide 2:
- Input tax
- Deemed supplies
- Time and value of supply
- Adjustments for change in use
- Supply of a going concern
- The VAT return
Study Guide 3:
- Fixed property transactions
- Deceased estates
- Insolvent estates and VAT
- The agricultural sector
- Financial services
- Tax Administration Act
- Objection and appeal, tax liability, payment and recovery of tax
- Penalties, interest and other sanctions, planning considerations and transitional rules
The Tax Faculty Fees
Payment option 1: Once-off payment
R13 950-00 (This amount includes your all course fees, excluding prescribed textbooks).
Payment option 2 : Debit order
First payment: R3250-00
10 Instalments: R1 270-00 per month
** The Course Fee includes all study material and lectures through The Tax Faculty, but excludes prescribed books***