Certificate in Value-Added Tax
This professional certificate programme covers the entire field of VAT. It has a distinct focus on the foundational and practical elements of VAT. This short learning programme is aimed at beginners as well as individuals who need to refresh their technical VAT knowledge through practical, real-life examples. Upon completion, successful individuals will be able to complete VAT returns for farmers, partnerships, sole traders, companies, close corporations and trusts.
Course Delivery and Certification
The Professional Certificate in Value-Added Tax is delivered by The Tax Faculty and examined by UNISA. Upon completion candidates will receive the Unisa Course in Value-Added Tax.
This course is for you if:
- You want a course that is focused on integrating theory and practice by simulating the real-life world of work.
- You want to receive the professional recognition that you deserve.
- You want to advance your career.
- You want to register with SARS and the South African Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT) as a tax practitioner.
- You're ready to take on additional responsibilities at your place of work.
- You want to gain the required practical and technical skills to complete VAT returns.
- You want an all-in-one refresher to get you up to date on the principles of VAT.
- You want others to recognise your contribution to your employer as a result of you
furthering your studies and expanding your knowledge in VAT.
- You want to receive your certificate of recognition which will enable you to register for a SAQA-registered designation (issued by the foremost professional certification body, the South African Institute of Tax Professionals).
Applications for admission open on 25 September 2018. The course induction starts on 15 January 2019.
Minimum admission requirement
To be eligible for admission, applicants need to hold a National Senior Certificate or equivalent.
What you will learn
This course covers the foundational technical principles of VAT, including the practical elements of VAT returns.
The course consists of the following three modules:
Module 1: Induction
This essential module will introduce you to your exciting learning journey with The Tax Faculty. It will include a demonstration of course-related tools and resources available to you via the digital campus, and will provide an introduction to your fellow course participants.
Module 2: VAT returns
This course bridges the gap between theoretical VAT knowledge and successful practical application. Successful completion of this module will empower you to complete VAT returns.
Module 3: Theory and fundamentals
Study Guide 1:
· General background on VAT
· The VAT Act
· Accounting basis
· Registration and tax periods
· Types of supply
· Taxable supplies
· Exempt supplies
· Imported goods and services
· Tax invoices and other documentation
· The VAT return
Study Guide 2:
- Input tax
- Deemed supplies
- Time and value of supply
- Adjustments for change in use
- Supply of a going concern
- The VAT return
Study Guide 3:
· Fixed property transactions
· Deceased estates
· Insolvent estates and VAT
· The agricultural sector
· Financial services
· Tax Administration Act
· Objection and appeal, tax liability, payment and recovery of tax
· Penalties, interest and other sanctions, planning considerations and transitional rules
Flexible Payment Options & Study Loan
Payment option 1: Once-off payment
R17 950.00 (incl. VAT)
Payment option 2: Debit order
First payment: R3 950.00
10 Instalments: R1 600.00 per month
Payment option 3: Study loan
Download the study loan application form here.
Are you ready for this course?
Make sure you are ready for this course. Click here to take the readiness test.
Submit your application today to avoid disappointment. Click below to
start your online application.